Sunday, January 30, 2011

Status Free

Why do we focus our attention on status in today’s society?  On Facebook, every 6 months you are asked to update your “status.”  In a relationship? Single? When 2 people standing close together approach my register I have to ask, “Are you together or separate?”  These might be total strangers to each other, but now they must publicly declare the status of their relationship.  I saw a sign in the parking lot that read “Single Parking Only.”  I breathed a sigh of relief that me and my car fit that requirement. However, my mind did ask the question why.  Did the maker of that parking lot want the married ones to stay home?  The parking lot had status.  Single majority rules.  I am very aware that live evolves.  What I don’t get is why we must be so quick to define it, name it?  I literally broke up with Facebook because I no longer wanted the world wide web to know my status.  I can’t break up with society.  I simply must live my own private life, no names, no definitions and hope that the status, the drama from society does not pull me down.

1 comment: