Friday, April 15, 2011

The Pledge

Remember when you were in school? Each day, you were expected to recite two pledges: one to the flag of the United States of America, another to the Texas flag?  Why does that ritual or expectation of people stop after you graduate from the school system? I feel it is unfair.  I think college students and grownups should be expected every morning to recite the pledges and pause for a moment of silence too.  Honestly, I would love to stand each morning, rest my hand over my heart, and recite the words I know from memory.   Think about it.  These days all of us have problems.  Newspaper articles on any given day support the argument that the devil is in full control.  My thought is that expecting the pledge from grownups and wayward young adults might remind us of our ability to be decent.  The act of honoring the flag could raise our awareness of being honorable in real life.  Just a thought.

1 comment:

  1. I agree totally that we as a culture, have lost sight of all honor in this day and age.
    -Larry

    ReplyDelete