Thursday, June 2, 2011

Monetarily Speaking

Why is it that everywhere you go, signs, businesses and people ask for money?  I can be checking out at the grocery store, sitting in church, driving or even sleeping.  Most people/places/things want my money.  It can be in the middle of the night, my phone lights up and jingles letting me know I have a message.  I open my eyes, scroll down to see I have a new email from Victoria’s Secret trying to get me to spend money on a new bra or whatever.  I get more contact from vendors trying to make a sale than I get from my own friends.  It pisses me off.  I know I am not the only person affected by this, but I resent the intrusion.  One must be relentlessly hardcore and focused to build up a savings account.  I would consider supporting a cause if they supported me.  Would you like to donate money to the fund for orphans?  (anytime someone asks me for money, I throw the question back in their face)... Are these orphan children in a place where they can support me?  At that point, the conversation usually dies and I gather my groceries and leave the premises.  These are difficult times.  You must try to save, but then realize that life is short, so have some fun too!  I had a person say to me the other day, hey did you get off facebook?  Yes.  You should have let everyone know.  I wanted to say my real friends could have called and asked, but I kept my thought to myself.  I got off facebook because I tire of pretending that my ‘friends’ on facebook are real.  A real friend calls you to talk, knows when you are upset and likes to hang out in person whenever the schedule allows it.  I was at the ballpark the other day and several girls present were looking down at their phones, their hands busy pushing buttons in the act of texting.  I had turned my phone off.  I allowed myself no distractions from the present moment.  I guess it makes me sad to think of all the moments in the day that people lose, moments where they could connect in a real way with people around them, but instead they ignore the real world and fix their gaze upon their phones.  I cannot say I am against texting.  I do text.  I try to do it at appropriate times though.  So the moral of this story is save your money, call your friends, and don’t be so caught up in your phone that you miss opportunities!

No comments:

Post a Comment